var date = document.write(new Date().getFullYear()); document.getElementById("year").innerHTML = date;

1. Planning regulations

2. Street Frontage or Land sizes

3. Setbacks & Easements

4. Drainage

5. Street Access

6. Power Supply

7. Neighbours

8. Pool

___     ___


Planning regulations

The very first thing you should do is contact your local council to establish if there are any overlays (heritage or vegetation) affecting your land. A quick meeting with council will help you identify any obstacles that might arise when you build the new home. As Toowoomba and surrounds have diverse planning requirements, we can assist you in our office to ensure any new home will comply with the regulations.

___     ___


Street Frontage or Land sizes

You need to consider the size of your block when choosing a new home plan. Generally in established areas, Council requires the setback of the principal frontage of your home to be the average of both of your neighbours. Should you wish to be further forward than this, a Report and Consent approval would be required to be obtained through Council. This process can commence post the completion of your tender appointment and the expected time frame of assessment is approximately six weeks.

___     ___


Setbacks & Easements

Setbacks – All new dwellings must comply with building regulations where minimum 6m at the front, 1.5m side and 1.5 rear setbacks need to be met when building a single storey home or more for a 2 storey. Discuss these requirements with us when considering your new home. Also ensure you take your existing driveway position into account when you are choosing a house plan. Should you wish to change the existing location of your crossover (driveway) you will then need to obtain approval directly from your Council.

Easements – Does your block of land have any easements? Easements can impact which designs will work on your block. This information can be obtained by contacting the owners of the easement (ie: council, water authorities) or from your Plan of Subdivision.

___     ___



All sites require a legal point of discharge (LPOD) and a sewer tie within the property boundary for drainage prior to site start. In some cases in established areas, your existing LPOD may be unsatisfactory for a new dwelling. If LPOD is not within the boundary it is the clients’ responsibility to ensure it is brought into the boundary. Any additional costs are the responsibility of the owner. Council will determine the satisfactory LPOD and Arden Vale Homes will order this information prior to your tender appointment to present to you. Any additional construction required will be determined at this point.

___     ___


Street Access

You will need to take into account how accessible your block is for both demolition and construction. Size of roads, schools in the area, overhead power lines and the requirement for traffic management (if you are on a busy road or in a difficult to access area) will need to be factored in. Please be aware that restricted access blocks may incur additional charges due to management of traffic and manual unloading of materials.

___     ___


Power Supply

We construct all new dwellings with underground or overhead power. As your existing dwelling will have overhead power which will be abolished prior to your demolition, you will need to arrange the installation of any new power through your provider. This process can be commenced prior to the demolition of your home and can be lengthy. Contact your provider for an application form (Arden vale Homes can assist in filling out your application if needed). Once returned, you will receive a quote which is valid for 30 days. When this has been paid (within the 30 day period) your electricity pit will be installed in approximately another 8 days. From 15 here, your electricity pit can take up to 5 days to be energised (made live). We requires a live electricity power pit prior to construction commencing.

___     ___



Neighbours can play a part in assisting with the approval of your design. Should your proposed build fall outside of the standard building regulations, you should gain consent from your neighbours upfront as any objections they may have can affect the design of your home (ceiling heights and windows etc), and this can delay your build time. Neighbours also need to be engaged regarding shared fencing as depending on your build, fencing may need to be removed prior to site start.

___     ___



Do you intend to put in a new pool or keep an old one? Please ensure you discuss this with us upfront as this can have a bearing on which house plan you proceed with, and may impact on the cost of your slab design (foundations of your new home) and construction. To maintain a safe workplace, we require a minimum distance of 1800mm between your home and pool and you will be required to install a hard pool cover to Australian Standards prior to construction commencing.



17 Long Street, Rangeville Queensland 4350 PO Box 7337 Toowoomba South, Queensland 4350


Monday - Friday 8 AM - 5 PM  


332 Ramsay St, Middle Ridge, Toowoomba, Queensland 4350


Open 7 Days 10 AM - 4 PM